Looking for someone who can see the dots, or help you discover them? Elizabeth Lance, MA, MASc (candidate) is an award-winning innovation management consultant that helps companies across Canada stay competitive.
About Elizabeth Lance, MA, MASc (Candidate) in Technology Innovation Management
Elizabeth Lance is a professional consultant with a career defined by two concepts: creativity & innovation. Since 2007, Elizabeth has helped science & technology companies access millions in tax credits via her role as co-founder of The Ingenuity Group®. Her clients are able to testify to the breadth and depth of knowledge of the Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) and Ontario Interactive Digital Media (OIDM) tax credit programs. This fall (September 2015) she is teaching the first Introduction to the SR&ED program course being taught by AJAG Professional Development For Accountants. A graduate of the Lead to Win program (see feature in TechVibes), she understands first-hand the challenges faced by young startups through her experiences with her own tech company, Virtuoso Music Technologies (2009-2011). Prior to her transition to working with technology companies, Elizabeth travelled, taught, and performed on both french horn and trumpet around the world in countries as diverse as Kenya and Scotland. Her students have achieved top marks in RCM & ABRSM exams and many have graduated from top universities across Canada. Supporting her roots as a classical musician and lover of big bands, she is a current board member of the Ottawa International Jazz Festival. Elizabeth has previously served on the board of the Ottawa Chamber Orchestra and the Ottawa New Music Creators. Elizabeth has won multiple awards, including:
- Forty Under 40 by the Ottawa Business Journal / Ottawa Chamber of Commerce. (2013) "The annual awards program recognizes accomplished industry leaders who are under the age of 40 and also give back to their community. Nominations were assessed according to a 40-point system: 20 points for business achievements, 10 points for expertise and 10 points for community involvement."
- Named one of Ottawa's 100 Rising Star CEOs by Invest Ottawa (2012) "To be chosen as a Rising Star, the key criteria included creativity, growth of the operation, and overall impact in the community."
- Bootstrap Award Finalist & Silver Medal Recipient for Lead To Win for Women (2012) "The objective for Lead to Win for Women Award is to support women-founded enterprises, helping them to develop viable, sustainable, growth-oriented enterprises. This award recognizes Eastern Ontario’s and Western Quebec’s top female entrepreneurs whose enterprises have the highest growth potential."
- Recognized as an "Amazing Woman" in the Business category of CelebrateHER.org (2012). Featured in a week week-long photography installation at Alpha Soul Cafe, 1015 Wellington St. W., Ottawa (March 3-10, 2012) & publicly recognized at the 2nd Annual Celebrate HER Charity Soirée.
What other people are saying about Elizabeth
Elizabeth is brilliant. Her work on our recent SR&ED claim by far surpassed my experience with other vendors in this area. Not only is she terribly well informed about all aspects of SR&ED, my claim was started and completed within a 2 month time frame. I also received my refund within 35 days and her firm took less commission for their work than any other firm I had worked with previously. She is smart, personable, well informed and superior at what she does. If you want to do a SR&ED claim you want to go with the best. And that's Elizab
My only regret about Elizabeth is that I didn't meet her sooner. InGenuity Group has tackled some tough R&D write-ups for my company and Elizabeth lead these projects to success. Elizabeth is a bright and talented business leader. It is a delight to work with someone who is as energetic and enthusiastic as she. Having built a successful business and put a number of successes under her belt, Elizabeth has proven her skills through her accomplishments.
As a startup Elizabeth helped us tremendously by providing a review of our government grant (SRED) submission. Liz is an expert in SRED - she knows the rules and regulations like no one else I've ever met, and was extremely helpful in helping us write our submission. As a small startup, keep costs low was our main concern, and she was willing to work with us to find a way to work together. I'd highly recommend Liz for any company looking to hire a SRED expert.
Elizabeth Lance has been quoted in relation to R&D funding and entrepreneurship in both online and offline publications. She has experience on music panels and The list is small, but it's growing quickly!
- CBC News - World Report (Politics): "Businesses hope clarified tax credits spur growth of R&D" (Print / Audio) - Jan 18,2013
- Ottawa Business Journal - Technology: "Self-capitalized firms honoured at Bootstrap Awards" - February 23, 2012
- Ottawa Business Journal - Technology: "Labouring over R&D" - February 16, 2012
- CBC News - World Report (Politics): "Ineffective R&D funding system faces overhaul" (Print / Audio) - Jan. 31, 2012
- CBC News - Ottawa Morning: "Local Horn Player Starts Musical Tech Company" - October 1, 2010
- Techvibes - The SR&ED T661(13): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. November 15, 2013.
- Techvibes - Disputed SR&ED Submissions on Rise as Market Heats Up. October 10, 2013
- Techvibes - Lead to Win launches a mentorship program for women entrepreneurs. October 7, 2011.
- Your Ottawa Region - Women entrepreneurs to head to boot camp in Nepean. October 18, 2011.
- Exchange Magazine - Lead to Win for Women Targets Entrepreneurial Equality. October 6, 2011.
- Ottawa Center for Research and Innovation - OCRI Helps Musical Startup. October 1, 2010.
- Canadian League of Composers - ZOOM IN... Ottawa the vibrant. September 10, 2013.
Juries & Panels
- Judge. TechLinks Technology Company Showcase. November 18, 2013.
- Advisor (Peer Review) for Presenter/Producer Classical & Contemporary Classical Projects. Ontario Arts Council. December 19, 2012.
- Advisor (Peer Review) for Cultural Funding - Tourism Festivals. City of Ottawa. February 2013.
- (Title TBD). Entrepreneur Keynote Speaker. Startup Finance Ottawa. September 15, 2015.
- Setting the Stage for Success. Kanata Kareer Group. May 2013. Elizabeth talks about building professional credibility. For more information about her topic, click here (original invite) or here (images from talk / thoughts). (Guest Speaker)
- Pain, Progress, and Processes: How To Build A Business You Love. Ontario Self Employment Benefit's Y Enterprise Centre Networking Session & Speakers Series. March 2013. Notes from the talk here. (Guest Speaker). Feedback from the talk here.
- The Joy of Tax Credits. Invest Ottawa, 2011. (Guest Speaker)
- Beyond BMus: How To Find A Job You Love (When No One Knows What You Studied). Queen's University. January 2013 (Colloquium)
- Marketing in a Digital Age. Carleton Entrepreneurship Association. November 19, 2012. (Keynote Speaker)
- Next Big Thing. Vanity of the Waltz: Top Business Women. Spring/Summer 2013.
- Queen's Alumni Review. Music Is Her Metaphor. 2013 Issue #2.
- Featured in the Queen's School of Music Newsletter (Summer 2013).
- AVV Biz Talk Radio. "We talked about Heineken’s great positive travel disruption, wearable technology and the latest technology, funding, tax credits and more! If you are a company that has technology (everyone) or a technology company looking to raise funds or get tax breaks, listen in." July 24, 2013.
Awards, Interviews, and Presentations
“Security is about… understanding how information travels across the internet and how it is stored locally on your device.” Elizabeth Lance, CEO, InGenuity Group. On October 23rd 2015, I had the pleasure of speaking at the Digital Youth Summit on cyber citizenship and cyber security held at the Canadian War Museum. I addressed a...
On February 23, 2012, I received the honour of being presented with the Silver Medal in the “Lead to Win (LTW) for Women” category at Ottawa’s Bootstrap Awards. This award was sponsored by Lead To Win – an organization with the goal to make the Capital Region the most attractive place in Canada to...
Giving (tax credits) to profitable companies defeats the purpose of the SR&ED program – Elizabeth Lance, CEO, InGenuity Group In early February of 2012, I was interviewed for an article by the Ottawa Business Journal which discusses a looming change that could have significant impact on the Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) program....
On the 13th of May, 2013, I had the privilege of addressing the Kanata Kareer Group (KKG), where I revisited my past as a professional musician, and discussed the transferable skills from said background which I now utilize in managing my group of expert consultants. As a former teacher, I cherish the opportunity to...
Some recent events and posts by Elizabeth
(… even though I am one.) This morning I received an invitation via LinkedIn that inspired me to write this post. It’s a topic that’s been irking me for awhile now. You may be thinking to yourself, “don’t you run a firm that specializes in SR&ED”? Yes, I do. What are SR&ED consultants? First, let me...
Want to connect with Elizabeth? Select one of the options below.