Elizabeth Lance is a professional consultant with a career defined by two concepts: creativity & innovation.
Since 2007, Elizabeth has helped science & technology companies access millions in tax credits via her role as co-founder of The Ingenuity Group®. Her clients testify to the breadth and depth of knowledge of the Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) and Ontario Interactive Digital Media (OIDM) tax credit programs. In September 2015, she taught the first Introduction to the SR&ED program course offered by AJAG Professional Development For Accountants and subsequently taught Avoiding Common Errors with SR&ED Forms. A graduate of the Lead to Win program for technology entrepreneurs (see feature in TechVibes), she understands first-hand the challenges faced by young startups through her experiences with her own tech company, Virtuoso Music Technologies (2009-2011).
Elizabeth has won multiple awards, including:
- Forty Under 40 by the Ottawa Business Journal / Ottawa Chamber of Commerce. (2013) "The annual awards program recognizes accomplished industry leaders who are under the age of 40 and also give back to their community. Nominations were assessed according to a 40-point system: 20 points for business achievements, 10 points for expertise and 10 points for community involvement."
- Named one of Ottawa's 100 Rising Star CEOs by Invest Ottawa (2012) "To be chosen as a Rising Star, the key criteria included creativity, growth of the operation, and overall impact in the community."
- Bootstrap Award Finalist & Silver Medal Recipient, Lead to Win for Women (2012) "The objective for Lead to Win for Women Award is to support women-founded enterprises, helping them to develop viable, sustainable, growth-oriented enterprises. This award recognizes Eastern Ontario’s and Western Quebec’s top female entrepreneurs whose enterprises have the highest growth potential."
- Recognized as an "Amazing Woman" in the Business category of CelebrateHER.org (2012). Featured in a week week-long photography installation at Alpha Soul Cafe, 1015 Wellington St. W., Ottawa (March 3-10, 2012) & publicly recognized at the 2nd Annual Celebrate HER Charity Soirée.
Elizabeth is finalizing her Master of Applied Science in Technology Innovation Management (Carleton University).
To learn more about Elizabeth, please visit her Professional Services page.
Prior to her transition to working with technology companies, Elizabeth traveled, taught, and performed on both French horn and trumpet around the world in countries as diverse as Kenya and Scotland. Her students have achieved top marks in RCM & ABRSM exams and many have graduated from top universities across Canada. Supporting her roots as a classical musician and lover of big bands, she has served on the boards of the Ottawa International Jazz Festival, the Ottawa Chamber Orchestra, and the Ottawa New Music Creators.
Elizabeth has a Bachelor of Music (Queen's University), a Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (minor: Communications) (University of Strathclyde), a Certificate in International Studies (Queen's University), a Master of Arts (University of Toronto).
Elizabeth Lance has been quoted in relation to R&D funding and entrepreneurship in both online and offline publications. She has experience on music panels and The list is small, but it's growing quickly!
- CBC News - World Report (Politics): "Businesses hope clarified tax credits spur growth of R&D" (Print / Audio) - Jan 18,2013
- Ottawa Business Journal - Technology: "Self-capitalized firms honoured at Bootstrap Awards" - February 23, 2012
- Ottawa Business Journal - Technology: "Labouring over R&D" - February 16, 2012
- CBC News - World Report (Politics): "Ineffective R&D funding system faces overhaul" (Print / Audio) - Jan. 31, 2012
- CBC News - Ottawa Morning: "Local Horn Player Starts Musical Tech Company" - October 1, 2010
- Techvibes - The SR&ED T661(13): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. November 15, 2013.
- Techvibes - Disputed SR&ED Submissions on Rise as Market Heats Up. October 10, 2013
- Techvibes - Lead to Win launches a mentorship program for women entrepreneurs. October 7, 2011.
- Your Ottawa Region - Women entrepreneurs to head to boot camp in Nepean. October 18, 2011.
- Exchange Magazine - Lead to Win for Women Targets Entrepreneurial Equality. October 6, 2011.
- Ottawa Center for Research and Innovation - OCRI Helps Musical Startup. October 1, 2010.
- Canadian League of Composers - ZOOM IN... Ottawa the vibrant. September 10, 2013.
Juries & Panels
- Judge. TechLinks Technology Company Showcase. November 18, 2013.
- Advisor (Peer Review) for Presenter/Producer Classical & Contemporary Classical Projects. Ontario Arts Council. December 19, 2012.
- Advisor (Peer Review) for Cultural Funding - Tourism Festivals. City of Ottawa. February 2013.
- (Title TBD). Entrepreneur Keynote Speaker. Startup Finance Ottawa. September 15, 2015.
- Setting the Stage for Success. Kanata Kareer Group. May 2013. Elizabeth talks about building professional credibility. For more information about her topic, click here (original invite) or here (images from talk / thoughts). (Guest Speaker)
- Pain, Progress, and Processes: How To Build A Business You Love. Ontario Self Employment Benefit's Y Enterprise Centre Networking Session & Speakers Series. March 2013.
- The Joy of Tax Credits. Invest Ottawa, 2011. (Guest Speaker)
- Beyond BMus: How To Find A Job You Love (When No One Knows What You Studied). Queen's University. January 2013 (Colloquium)
- Marketing in a Digital Age. Carleton Entrepreneurship Association. November 19, 2012. (Keynote Speaker)
- Next Big Thing. Vanity of the Waltz: Top Business Women. Spring/Summer 2013.
- Queen's Alumni Review. Music Is Her Metaphor. 2013 Issue #2.
- Featured in the Queen's School of Music Newsletter (Summer 2013).
- AVV Biz Talk Radio. "We talked about Heineken’s great positive travel disruption, wearable technology and the latest technology, funding, tax credits and more! If you are a company that has technology (everyone) or a technology company looking to raise funds or get tax breaks, listen in." July 24, 2013.